Friday, November 4, 2011

Spiral Design Tube Scarf - Round Loom


The other day I decided to make a scarf, but wanted to give it a spiral look.   After searching online I was unable to find an existing pattern to make a spiral stripe using the Knifty Knitter Looms.  I found several patterns that would allow me to do solid vertical stripes, but this was not what I was looking for.  After giving it some though I came up with this design.

More after the break...




Free - Loom Knitting Pattern - Spiral Design Tube Scarf

Skill Level: Intermediate

What I used:
Small Knifty Knitter Round Flower Loom
1 Skein of "Loops & Threads" Country Loom - Purple
1 Skein of "Loops & Threads" Country Loom - Cream
Loom Hook

Steps:
1. Cast-On using your method of choice.
2. e-wrap entire row a knit-off.
3. Repeat Step 2 for 3-4".
4. Bring Row 1 up through middle of loom and place on pegs.  Knit off to create a rim.
5. Bring secondary color up through middle of loom and using a slip-knot place on peg 1.
6. e-wrap peg 2.
7. Knit-off peg 1 and 2, bringing primary color over secondary.
8. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
     a) Watch tension on secondary color as it will have a tendency to loosen.
9. e-wrap secondary color on peg 3-4, and knit-off.
10. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
11. e-wrap secondary color on peg 5-6, and knit off.
12. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
13. e-wrap secondary color on peg 7-8, and knit off.
14. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
15. e-wrap secondary color on peg 9-10, and knit off.
16. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
17. e-wrap secondary color on peg 11-12, and knit-off.
18. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
19. e-wrap secondary color on peg 1-2, and knit-off.
20. e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
21. Repeat steps 9-20 until desired length is accomplished.
22. Once desired Length has been reached, e-wrap entire row with primary color, and knit-off.
23. Repeat step 22 for 3-4".
24. From inside of loom, bring last row with secondary color up and place on peg, and knit-off.
25. Finish off by using a yarn needle to go through each loop twice before removing from peg.
26. Tie-off loose ends and hide inside scarf.

This pattern could be modified by wrapping only 1 peg with secondary color or any other number of pegs that you wish.

If you give this design a try, please let me know how it turns out in the comments below.

This pattern may be placed on your site, by a direct link to this page.  Other use is prohibited.
©2011 Derek Jeffries - All rights reserved.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, Thanks for the pattern, I am going to give it a shot now...I will try to post a pic here when I finish. Don't know when that will be since I also have cookies and shopping to do today lol. Thanks again, your scarf looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and had a question first..I will be using cheapy yarn cause that is all I have right now with me (Red Heart, weight 4)...so I might have to double the yarn. But my question is...when you say to put slip knot on peg 1 with secondary color and then ewrap peg 2, then knit off...then ewrap ENTIRE row with primary color...are you meaning to wrap even peg 1 and peg 2 that I just knitted off with the secondary color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will wrap and knit-off all the around to the end of peg 2. Then do secondary color on peg 3-4, and so-on.

      Delete